Page 282 HISTORY OF HOWARD COUNTY.
In the year 1842, Jacob Good settled within the present limits of the township, and obtained permission of the Indians to clear and cultivate a small patch of ground near Wild Cat, on land at present owned by David Smith. The agreement between Good and the red men was kept in good faith, and a crop of corn was raised the following year, being the first attempt at agriculture in the township. Good was a native of Virginia, left his early home when a young man and went to Sullivan County, Tenn., where he remained until his immigration to this State, some time prior to 1840. His first settlement in Indiana was made in Henry County, where he lived until 1841, at which time he made a tour of observation through Howard County for the purpose of selecting a home. He took a claim in what is known as the " Float" Section, which he entered when the land came into market five years later. He appears to have been a man of considerable influence in the community, and did much in a quiet way toward the moral improvement of his neighborhood. His death occurred in the year 1851. One daughter, Mrs. Templin, wife of Timothy Templin, resides in the township at the present time. Salathiel Good, son of the preceding, came to the township in company with his father and took a claim in Section 35, on land at present owned and occupied by Mr. Sale. He made a good farm here and built his first cabin on the spot where the Hopewell Methodist Episcopal Church now stands. When the first school was organized in 1845, Good was elected teacher, and for a number of years thereafter was identified with the educational interests of the township. He sold his farm many years ago, and moved to Wisconsin and later to Nebraska, where he at present resides.
In the latter part of 1842, the Garringers - Alexander, David, Abner and Isaac - moved to the township and selected claims in the southern part along Wild Cat. They came from Delaware (bounty, and unlike mang early settlers were men of means. The father, Alexander, settled near Hopewell Church, on the farm at present owned by Jonah Beeson, where he lived until the year 1851, at which time his death occurred. Martin Smith, a son-in-law of Jacob Good, came the same year also, and settled near an Indian village on Wild Cat. For several years the redskins were his nearest neighbors, between whom and the pioneers the most friendly relations were maintained. Smith entered land in 1847, and resided in the township until the year 1852, when he disposed of his farm and moved to Wisconsin.